- Exercise Regularly— This does not have to be anything overly strenuous. Something as simple as a daily walk can make a huge difference.
- Eat A Healthy Diet— Proper nutrients allow the body to repair itself easier
- Maintain Good Posture— Are you sitting up straight as you read this?
- Stretch Your Spine Before And After Sports— This will also help to loosen up the surrounding muscles.
- Don't Overload Your Backpack Or Purse— Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
- Stretch Your Legs And Back After Each Hour Of Sitting— Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further.
- Never Cradle The Phone Between Your Neck And Shoulder
- Sleep On Your back Or Side, Not On Your Stomach— This helps to keep your spine in line and reduces the risk of hurting your neck while you sleep.
- Invest In A Good Chair, Pillow And Mattress— When you think about the amount of time you use these things each day, it's worth it.
- Have Regular Spinal Check-Ups— It's much easier to prevent a problem than to correct one.
Dr. Kirsti Neely, San Francisco Chiropractor
2295 Chestnut St (@Scott St) in San Francisco's Marina District.